Saturday, October 31, 2009

Catharsis

I live for cathartic experiences. I think most people do. It's why we watch the TV shows we do; so we can become involved in the characters' drama and, thus, tap into our own emotions. I don't know about you, but I'm a Grey's Anatomy watcher. I can't recall the last episode I watched that didn't have me in tears at some point during the hour. And THAT is a major reason I watch it: it provides me with the means to tap into my own 'stuff' that gets buried beneath my everyday façade. In fact, I prefer watching Grey's Anatomy alone because I find it to be a more cathartic experience (otherwise I get too self-conscious to let go and sort-of emotionally 'free associate,' if you will).

TV is just one medium by which I achieve catharsis. Probably the most important means of catharsis for me is SINGING! I love show tunes and used to be involved in the performing arts -- and WILL be again, once I'm healthier. What I absolutely adore about musical theatre is the way each song tells a story, so listening to a show from beginning to end -- or singing it, as I do -- is such an amazing release. I love going through the ups and downs of each character and losing myself in the music. Though, I never really lose myself because the emotions I experience are my own and have their own stories; but since they can be hard to access, I enlist the help of other artists.

Other means of catharsis for me:
  • Journaling: Just putting pen to paper without thinking, and letting out whatever emerges, without judgment or regard to grammar. Emptying my head of the detritus that inevitably clutters it after simply living a normal day or going through an exceptionally difficult day. It's like spring cleaning, only it's more frequent and more abstract.
  • Dancing: I started dancing when I was 3 years old and didn't stop till I was almost 20, and then only because I was sick. When I'm feeling unusually energetic, I'll throw on some music and just DANCE! In my room, in my kitchen, anywhere I may be. And I do it without regard to form and proper alignment -- I simply DANCE the dance of my body in that time and space. It's freeing, it's invigorating, it's cathartic.
  • Doodling: I'm not an artist by any means, but sometimes I find I really enjoy doodling and coloring my doodles. It's fun to see what comes out. It's calming. And there are times I surprise myself by really liking the finished product!
I'll leave you with this:


And a question: How do you experience catharsis? Leave a comment!

1 comment:

  1. This is NOT a healthy way, but nonetheless, it is often how I do it. To me, catharsis comes after big anxiety, big fighting and then I fall in sobs on my bed. I want so much to have another way. But the build, build, build, to a blow up is what I am most conditioned to do.

    I, too, watch Grey's Anatomy by myself. And sometimes it is just what I need for a good cry. My mom used to hide behind the shower curtain and cry very still so we didn't hear her and come looking for her for some trivial need.

    Oh, how I wish I understood then, what I understand now. My mom needed those good cries so badly. And so do I.

    ReplyDelete