Friday, October 30, 2009

Air Travel and a Phone Consult with my LLMD

Traveling yesterday was exhausting! But I feel good today. It's strange how, no matter how short a flight I may take, it always feels like it was a lot longer than it actually was. The most tedious part of travel (aside from packing!) is going through security. These days you have to practically undress and unpack, and then redress and repack in record time so you don't hold up the line! I've learned to do the following in order to streamline the process:
  1. Wear sweat pants! I normally travel in jeans, but if I'm wearing jeans I'm also wearing a belt, which I will have to take off and put back on in order to go through security. Sweat pants (or yoga pants or what have you) don't require belts and they're way cozier for sitting on a cramped plane for hours.
  2. If possible, do not carry ANY liquids in my carry-on luggage! This is a hard one for me because some of my supplements are liquid. But I sucked it up and packed them in my checked luggage and this time no one bothered me about possibly staging an air attack with -- wait for it -- COLLOIDAL SILVER.
  3. Wear slip-on shoes! I have made the mistake of wearing my Doc Marten steel-toed boots to travel more times than I can count. I probably lose about 8 minutes taking off and putting them back on. I now have shoes specifically designated for flying.
  4. I don't know about you, but the idea of walking through security barefoot icks me out, so I make sure I always wear SOCKS. Yes, even if it's flip-flop weather! I don't even want to think about what I might be stepping on.
  5. I pick up a bottle of water and a piece of fruit or other small snack to take with me on the plane because they charge for snacks now, and they're expensive (i.e., a small bag of potato chips for $4). This is also good for me because, with all of my dietary restrictions, it's rare to find airplane snacks that won't make me ill.
  6. EAR PLUGS! Last night, for the first time, I wore ear plugs. I put them in prior to even making my way through security and it was a much less jarring experience. My central nervous system thanks me! Especially since, as we sat by the gate waiting to board, an alarm was going off for about 10 minutes. A really LOUD alarm that would have hurt my head if I hadn't been wearing my ear plugs. It also helped with the pressure of ascent and descent.

I woke early this morning because I had a phone consultation scheduled with my LLMD. He's pleased with my progress and believes I have a good prognosis based on it thus far. He added a medication to my already large cocktail of pills, which I will pick up later. It's a multi-purpose drug that should work as a cyst and flagella buster, among other things. I'm still waiting on my insurance company to OK IV treatment -- even if they only pay for a month of it, it's SOMETHING. Once that's taken care of, I'll have my PICC line inserted and the horror -- I mean, healing -- will continue! Just kidding guys -- I DO feel positive about this. I also know the reality of the die-off process upon starting new medication, especially IV antibiotics. But I'm up for it and have an amazing support system that will get me through it.

Off to start the day! Or...continue the day!

No comments:

Post a Comment