Wednesday, May 18, 2011

A Timely Auction -- SPREAD THE WORD!

May is Lyme Disease Awareness month and this week my friends and I are holding an online silent auction for our dear friend, Heather, who is currently struggling with a lot, financially and medically. 

Heather has late-stage Lyme Disease, like me. In fact, she is the reason I was finally diagnosed with Lyme Disease; she recognized the symptoms that countless doctors dismissed, and encouraged me to seek the opinion of a Lyme-Literate MD. From the time I was diagnosed, she has offered me her encyclopedic knowledge of the disease, co-infections, treatments, and anything else you can possibly think of that’s related to living with and treating this disease.



I’m extremely fortunate in that I have an extensive, amazing support system of family and friends who make it possible for me to receive the best treatment (thanks, Mom & Dad!), who accept me where I’m at, and who never fail to remind me that I can and will get through this. However, my experience is far from the norm. 

Heather, like many people I know who struggle with this devastating disease, lives on her own, with her two cats, and subsists on small disability checks and the money she made by selling her most prized possession -- her violin. You can read more of Heather’s story here: http://heathersauction.blogspot.com/heathers-story.html

Heather has recently been faced with some especially tough times, necessitating the near-draining of her bank account. As a result, she’s had to stop treatment for Lyme. With this auction, we hope to raise enough money to replenish what she’s lost and get her back on track with treatment. 

Please, take a moment and check out the auction site: http://heathersauction.blogspot.com
There are some really great items up for auction, including jewelry, artwork, items autographed by Kristin Chenoweth (!!), services, and a bunch of other great stuff!

If you guys could forward the link to friends and family, I’d be so grateful. We’re trying to get as many ‘healthy’ people involved as possible, because most people in the Lyme community, especially those who have been working on the auction, are in difficult positions financially due to their own health expenses. 


Thank you for taking the time to read and forward this blog post and spread the word! 



No comments:

Post a Comment